WHO WE ARE
We are a modern, embedded payroll provider that helps empower companies to build their own unique payroll service. On top of our easy-to-use payroll API we are pioneering an all inclusive tax engine to democratize a broken and cumbersome process providing accessibility to small, medium and large businesses and helping Americans get paid.
Backed by over $14 million in funding by top investors such as Y Combinator, Spark Capital (Marqeta, Coinbase, Affirm) and Robinhood's Founder; Vlad Tenev, we are projected to be a forerunner in embedded payroll with an industry amassing billions of dollars in untapped revenue.
Our mission is to empower companies to become their own fin-tech company using our simple, seamless and forward thinking payroll technology and we'd love to learn more about you and how you could be a fit for our growing team here in San Francisco!
SOME THINGS YOU MAY BE WORKING ON
- Be a key, strategic business partner who brings their tax acumen to help solve issues and identify opportunities for Zeal's clients
- Identify, evaluate and implement strategies to effectively manage taxes while mitigating risk. Strategies may be internally generated, recommended by third party advisors or developed through partnership with the business.
- Monitor legislative and regulatory tax law developments, communicate the impact to internal stakeholders, and implement the changes as applicable.
- Actively engage with cross functional leadership to keep abreast of the business objectives, priorities and strategies to enable collaborative and supportive relationships as well as provide value added services to each other.
- Provide support to Zeal in all aspects of tax provision, tax compliance and tax audit.
- We would love it if you could be a guest "blog writer" to help educate our prospective clients and team about how tax laws are intimately involved with the growth of embedded payroll
- 6+ years of detailed technical knowledge of US tax law working at a Payroll Provider
- Ability to apply tax knowledge in a strategic and compliant manner
- Prior management experience — as this position manages a Tax Specialist and will grow to manage a larger team as we grow and scale
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, to convey complex matters with simplicity and clarity to non-experts across the company
- A proven ability to research and communicate complex technical tax issues clearly to non-tax team members and work effectively across functional teams and senior leadership
- Interest in joining a start-up and desire to solve some real complex and fun tax related payroll issues!
- CPA, LLM in taxation or equivalent credentials would be great to have!
- Previous consulting background
Zeal is located in the SoMa district of San Francisco and we value in-person collaboration and communication as we grow and scale our business. We are a tight-knit, inclusive community that is into: music 🎵, cocktails 🍹, pets 🐈🐕, ping-pong 🏓 and above all else ~ high quality espresso ☕ but more importantly we value championing for our employees to bring their authentic true selves to work and aim to provide a fun and collaborative work environment for everyone!
- 100% coverage health, dental and vision
- Competitive salary and equity for all employees
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Free snacks and drinks and Friday happy hours
- Awesome Zeal Swag
OUR INTERVIEW PROCESS
This is our process for most of our roles, but sometimes stages are subject to change from time-to-time, but we will definitely notify you of the change ahead of time.
Step 1: Chat with our recruiter or hiring manager
Step 2: Chat with one of our founders or hiring manager
Step 3: Take-Home Assignment
Step 4: Presentation/Final Interview with the team
Zeal is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
WHO WE ARE