WHO WE ARE
We are a modern, embedded payroll provider that helps empower companies to build their own unique payroll service. On top of our easy-to-use payroll API we are pioneering an all inclusive tax engine to democratize a broken and cumbersome process providing accessibility to small, medium and large businesses and helping Americans get paid.
Backed by over $14 million in funding by top investors such as Y Combinator, Spark Capital (Marqeta, Coinbase, Affirm) and Robinhood's Founder; Vlad Tenev, we are projected to be a forerunner in embedded payroll with an industry amassing billions of dollars in untapped revenue.
Our mission is to empower companies to become their own fin-tech company using our simple, seamless and forward thinking payroll technology and we'd love to learn more about you and how you could be a fit for our growing team here in San Francisco!
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are looking for a Payroll Lead to join the Operations team here at Zeal. This role is quite unique in that you will be providing strategic input and guidance on all things related to payroll for Zeal's growing customer base. This means, no two days are the same and you get to use your wealth of payroll knowledge to help other companies build their own payroll products. It is a really cool role and we are looking for someone who doesn't mind working in a matrixed environment where you get to work on helping us provide the most accurate and up-to-date information in payroll possible.
In this role, you will report to our Head of Operations (dotted line) and manage a payroll specialist with the goal of managing 10-20 payroll representatives in the near future as we grow and scale. It's a great time to join this fast-growing team in the embedded payroll space!
SOME THINGS YOU MAY BE WORKING ON
- You will set strategic vision for Zeal's clients assisting, implementing, and supporting customers at key moments in their payroll onboarding experience and beyond!
- Advocate for operational procedures that ensure SOX compliance and accurate financials with minimal touch points
- You will be training and onboarding internal payroll representatives as well as managing our external payroll members
- Leading quarter-end and year-end payroll procedures for all of Zeal's payroll sub accounts
- Advise the business on subject matter pertinent to payroll processing and employment tax reporting/withholding requirements
- Work cross functionally with multiple internal and external stakeholders to identify gaps or risk areas, and create end-to-end process recommendations
- Work cross functionally to identify gaps or risk areas and create end-to-end process recommendations. Build roadmaps, target operating models, and lead approved projects
- 5+ years of experience relevant leadership work experience in a payroll organization
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance; or equivalent work experience
- Payroll CPP certified
- Excellent leadership skills with collaborative working style and ability to work cross functionally
- Strong program management and organizational skills with an ability to plan and perform multiple tasks
- Ability and willingness to “roll-up sleeves” and delve deep into the processes
- Workday, E&Y and ADP payroll software experience
Zeal is located in the SoMa district of San Francisco and we value in-person collaboration and communication as we grow and scale our business. We are a tight-knit, inclusive community that is into: music 🎵, cocktails 🍹, pets 🐈🐕, ping-pong 🏓 and above all else ~ high quality espresso ☕ but more importantly we value championing for our employees to bring their authentic true selves to work and aim to provide a fun and collaborative work environment for everyone!
- 100% coverage health, dental and vision
- Competitive salary and equity for all employees
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Free snacks and drinks and Friday happy hours
- Awesome Zeal Swag
OUR INTERVIEW PROCESS
This is our process for most of our roles, but sometimes stages are subject to change from time-to-time, but we will definitely notify you of the change ahead of time.
Step 1: Chat with our recruiter or hiring manager
Step 2: Chat with one of our founders or hiring manager
Step 3: Take-Home Assignment
Step 4: Presentation/Final Interview with the team
Zeal is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
WHO WE ARE