WHO WE ARE
Zeal is a fin-tech startup in the embedded payroll landscape.
We help empower companies to build their own unique payroll service. On top of our easy-to-use payroll API, we are pioneering an all-inclusive tax engine to democratize a broken and cumbersome process providing accessibility to small, medium, and large businesses and helping Americans get paid.
Backed by over $14 million in funding by top investors such as Y Combinator, Spark Capital (Marqeta, Coinbase, Affirm), and Robinhood's Founder; Vlad Tenev, we are projected to be a forerunner in embedded payroll with an industry amassing billions of dollars in untapped revenue.
Our mission is to empower companies to become their own fin-tech company using our simple, seamless, and forward-thinking payroll technology and we'd love to learn more about you and how you could be a fit for our growing team here in San Francisco!
HOW DOES HYBRID/REMOTE WORK @ ZEAL?
We have a “communication first” culture, meaning close to 90% of our team works hybrid at our office in SoMa near downtown San Francisco. Some team members work remotely on a schedule but take measures to come to the office once a month to get that in person collaboration.
This role is open to the remote schedule with a preference for those who can work in the Pacific timezone and can visit the office in San Francisco for 1 week a month or similar type of arrangement if local.
ABOUT THE ROLE
- As the subject matter expert on Compliance in the fintech space, you will drive “Compliance by Design” on the product, operations, and commercials.
- You will serve as the Compliance leader at Zeal, with the opportunity to develop our principles, operations, and culture.
- You will have the opportunity to work with senior leadership at the company and have a a voice on the audit committee.
- You will serve as the face of Compliance to federal and state regulators. As needed, you will provide leadership and guidance on general corporate Compliance matters.
SOME THINGS YOU MAY BE WORKING ON
- Lead Zeal’s Compliance function, including developing and/or updating Compliance policies and procedures to meet US regulatory requirements (e.g. BSA/AML/Sanctions, privacy, Cybersecurity, consumer complaint and protection, BCP/DR, FCPA) and conduct compliance regulatory risk assessments and program implementation.
- Develop compliance training and communication programs and establish processes to ensure both existing and new employees are trained timely and adequately.
- Support Money Transmission Licenses and other similar MSB related business license applications and maintenance as required.
- Oversee all regulatory reporting and filing requirements in compliance with the BSA, MTL laws, and general corporate laws.
- Perform risk assessments and other Compliance tasks as needed.
- 4+ years of experience as a compliance professional in fintech or tech-enabled financial services, or relevant white-collar work in government or private practice relating to fintech.
- Experience working closely with the other Legal, Compliance professionals to support particularly BSA/AML/sanction, as well as privacy, information security, risk management, and other compliance areas.
- A demonstrated track record of serving as a credible business partner to internal stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to drive complex and simple projects to completion.
- Thrive in a fast-paced startup environment and have the confidence to add structure to company processes through this role.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Fintech experience or similar startup experience.
- Interest in joining a fun fast-paced start-up in the payroll industry.
Zeal is located in the SoMa district of San Francisco and we value in-person collaboration and communication as we grow and scale our business. We are a tight-knit, inclusive community that is into music 🎵, cocktails 🍹, pets 🐈🐕, ping-pong 🏓 and above all else ~ high-quality espresso ☕ but more importantly we value championing for our employees to bring their authentic true selves to work and aim to provide a fun and collaborative work environment for everyone!
- 100% coverage health, dental and vision
- Competitive salary and equity for all employees
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Free snacks and drinks and Friday happy hours
- Awesome Zeal Swag
OUR INTERVIEW PROCESS
This is our process for most of our roles, but sometimes stages are subject to change from time to time, but we will definitely notify you of the change ahead of time.
Step 1: Chat with our recruiter - Grace
Step 2: Chat with the hiring manager - Jim
Step 3: Take-Home Assignment
Step 4: Presentation/Final Interview with the team
After a few days to 1 week, we will get back to you with a decision
Zeal is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.