WHO WE ARE
We are a modern, embedded payroll provider that helps empower companies to build their own unique payroll service. On top of our easy-to-use payroll API we are pioneering an all inclusive tax engine to democratize a broken and cumbersome process providing accessibility to small, medium and large businesses and helping Americans get paid.
Backed by over $14 million in funding by top investors such as Y Combinator, Spark Capital (Marqeta, Coinbase, Affirm) and Robinhood's Founder; Vlad Tenev we are projected to be a forerunner in embedded payroll with an industry amassing billions of dollars in untapped revenue.
Our mission is to empower companies to become their own fin-tech company using our simple, seamless and forward thinking payroll technology and we'd love to learn more about you and how you could be a fit for our growing team here in San Francisco!
ABOUT THE ENGINEERING DEPARTMENT
As a Software Engineer II here at Zeal you will have an opportunity to work on end-to-end product development for our embedded payroll platform. You will be one of the key stakeholders in how we develop our products and will have a lot of autonomy to work the way you want. We believe in providing as much time for deep coding work as possible, so we don't flood your calendar with strenuous meetings. We want you to do what you do best - and that is to solve creative problems in the fin-tech landscape.
As part of the founding engineering team, you will be able to help craft as well as shape the future of Zeal's engineering department as well as our product.
You will have a seat at the table and get to chat with stakeholders to understand the why behind what you develop. Most importantly, we believe in shipping product fast, but pushing maintainable, well-tested code and available, robust systems. If you need an extra few days to perfect something, we want you to feel empowered to do so. Overall, we're a pretty cool team where you'll get to wear many hats and have fun doing it. If this is something you'd be interested in we'd love to connect!
SOME THINGS YOU MAY BE WORKING ON
- You'll work directly with founders on helping set engineering/product direction.
- You'll help build API functionality and documentation that speaks to you! It's easy to be customer obsessed when your customers are other developers.
- You would help our Components and Services team with expanding the scope of our white label components, which are pre-built frontend elements that help our customers build a payroll product in a few hours.
- You would help our Taxes and Payments team build out more of the payroll infra stack and handle payment risk and edge cases. Nothing more fun than building useful tools!
- Payroll is the launch pad for the next 5+ financial products for our customers (ie insurance, lending, tax credits, etc). You would lead our suite of financial products built on top of payroll!
- Evangelize your work and our engineering through community engagement via Product Hunt, our own blog, or even leading a JS MeetUp!
- 3+ years of professional software engineering experience, preferably in a start-up environment
- You're an expert in React, Typescript, Redux, NodeJS, MongoDB and AWS
- You've built products end-to-end, working closely with product and design teams
- You are a strong-collaborator and want to help others grow
- You thrive in a fast-paced and, at times, ambiguous environment
- You strive for technical excellence in everything you do
- Experience working in a payroll or fin-tech software development
- You're passionate about the fin-tech or HR landscape
- You're an obsessive builder or a side-project, hack-a-thon enthusiast
Zeal is located in the SoMa district of San Francisco and we value in-person collaboration and communication as we grow and scale our business. We are a tight-knit, inclusive community that is into: music 🎵, cocktails 🍹, pets 🐈🐕, ping-pong 🏓 and above all else ~ high quality espresso ☕ but more importantly we value championing for our employees to bring their authentic true selves to work and aim to provide a fun and collaborative work environment for everyone!
- 100% coverage health, dental and vision
- Competitive salary and equity for all employees
- Flexible work schedule and time off
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Free snacks and drinks and Friday happy hours
- Awesome Zeal Swag
OUR INTERVIEW PROCESS
This is our process for most of our roles, but sometimes stages are subject to change from time-to-time, but we will definitely notify you of the change ahead of time.
Step 1: Chat with our recruiter or hiring manager
Step 2: Chat with one of our founders
Step 3: Take-Home Assignment
Step 4: Presentation/Final Interview with the team
Zeal is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
WHO WE ARE