WHO WE ARE
We are a modern, embedded payroll provider that helps empower companies to build their own unique payroll service. On top of our easy-to-use payroll API we are pioneering an all inclusive tax engine to democratize a broken and cumbersome process providing accessibility to small, medium and large businesses and helping Americans get paid.
Backed by over $14 million in funding by top investors such as Y Combinator, Spark Capital (Marqeta, Coinbase, Affirm) and Robinhood's Founder; Vlad Tenev we are projected to be a forerunner in embedded payroll with an industry amassing billions of dollars in untapped revenue.
Our mission is to empower companies to become their own fin-tech company using our simple, seamless and forward thinking payroll technology and we'd love to learn more about you and how you could be a fit for our growing team here in San Francisco!
ABOUT THE ENGINEERING DEPARTMENT
As a Staff Software Engineer working on our API and Tax Engine you will work 70% on the back-end and 30% on the front-end. This role will be working on building 3rd party applications in-house, architecting in Node.js and developing with some cool open-API's. We recently shipped our new greenfield product Abacus - our gross to net calculator. If this seems like something you'd like to work on we'd like to connect.
‼️ This role is open to in-office or remote-hybrid. Salary for this role is $150-195k with equity from a series-A company valuation around $65M.
HOW DOES HYBRID WORK @ ZEAL?
We have a "communication first" culture, meaning close to 90% of our team works hybrid at our office in SoMa near downtown San Francisco. Some team members work remotely on a schedule, but take measures to come to the office to get that in-person collaboration. Employees who work in the office come to the office 2-3x a week.
HOW ENGINEERS AT ZEAL WORK
We work on 2-week cycles. Every sprint starts with a sprint planning session (time estimates, prioritization, etc) and ends with a sprint retro (were our estimates accurate, what can we do better, etc).
We conduct backlog grooming in the middle of every sprint to update tickets and estimates based on new information or shifting of priorities. We also conduct a quick “mini-standup” in person almost every day to allow the team to express what they’re working on and any blockers they’re facing.
We primarily use Github to conduct code reviews (led by our Staff Engineers) and use Jenkins to deploy to our various environments. We hide features behind feature flags, empowering us to push code every day!
SOME THINGS YOU MAY BE WORKING ON
- Our engineering team is super into Typescript and we're built on React/Redux, Node, MongoDB, and AWS and all split up into services. Locally we use yarn 3, esbuild.
- Day-to-day you'd be working on helping to build out our tax engine building out our gross to net calculation API; working with a small but diverse team of 7 engineers.
- Helping to build powerful in-house tools like a docusign replacement, gross to net tax calculations, a public api (plus the documentation that deploys with it), and more...
- This role focuses 80-90% on building and coding in our code base, but there will be opportunities to mentor and give input to other aspects of the business since we are a small, flat and collaborative organization
- You will get to work directly with our founders and other heads of departments from Stripe, Square, Gusto, SAP, Box and others... which will only increase your business acumen and provide lots of opportunities to get closer to our product vision and strengthen our teams cross department collaboration
- 6+ years of professional software engineering experience
- You've built products end-to-end, working closely with product and design teams
- You are an empathetic developer and value working in a diverse and collaborative environment
OUR INTERVIEW PROCESS
Step 1: ✋ Chat with our recruiter - Grace - 30 mins
Step 2: 💬 Chat with our CTO - Pranab - 30 mins
Step 3: 💵 Paid Take-Home Assignment - 4 hours
Step 4: 💻 Final Interview - 3 hours
Final Interview Details: Review assignment with CTO and another Engineer, have a coffee chat with someone not on the Eng team, design a feature with our Staff Engineer
Zeal is located in the SoMa district of San Francisco and we value in-person collaboration and communication as we grow and scale our business. We are a tight-knit, inclusive community that is into: music 🎵, cocktails 🍹, pets 🐈🐕, ping-pong 🏓 and above all else ~ high quality espresso ☕ but more importantly we value championing for our employees to bring their authentic true selves to work and aim to provide a fun and collaborative work environment for everyone!
- 100% coverage health, dental and vision
- Competitive salary and equity for all employees
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Free snacks and drinks and Friday happy hours
- Awesome Zeal Swag 🦓 #teamzealot
If you have any questions about the role, our process or anything else before applying, feel free to reach out to me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Zeal is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.