WHO WE ARE
We are a modern, embedded payroll provider that helps empower companies to build their own unique payroll service. On top of our easy-to-use payroll API we are pioneering an all inclusive tax engine to democratize a broken and cumbersome process providing accessibility to small, medium and large businesses and helping Americans get paid.
Backed by over $14 million in funding by top investors such as Y Combinator, Spark Capital (Marqeta, Coinbase, Affirm) and Robinhood's Founder; Vlad Tenev, we are projected to be a forerunner in embedded payroll with an industry amassing billions of dollars in untapped revenue.
Our mission is to empower companies to become their own fin-tech company using our simple, seamless and forward thinking payroll technology and we'd love to learn more about you and how you could be a fit for our growing team here in San Francisco!
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are looking for a smart, service-oriented attorney who lives and breaths US tax to join our small but might growth company. As our second legal hire, your mandate is to power Zeal's product and go-to-market with your passion, knowledge, and service-oriented approach. This is a great opportunity for that special big law mid-level associate to be creative and join at the ground-floor.
SOME THINGS YOU MAY BE WORKING ON
- Handle evaluation, risk assessment, and counseling on various complicated tax problems.
- Provide subject matter expertise on payroll tax across all US jurisdictions
- Execute project related tax research and analysis based on Federal and State tax laws
- Undertake tax basis calculations and other related tax studies
- Counsel Zeal and Zeal's clients on the consequences of new and updated federal and state tax laws that affect business
- Correspond with and substantively respond to relevant tax authorities
- Serve as subject matter escalation in support of go-to-market
- Four to six years of top-flight law firm experience in US tax
- Licensed to practice law in CA, NY, or DE, others may be considered
- You have substantial financial/accounting experience. CPA, LLM and/or Masters in Tax
- Demonstrated ability to translate legal requirements to client success
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work within the tech domain
- Undergraduate degree in accounting
- Prior pre-legal work in tax, particularly with Big Four
- Interest in joining a fun fast-paced start-up in the payroll industry
Zeal is located in the SoMa district of San Francisco and we value in-person collaboration and communication as we grow and scale our business. We are a tight-knit, inclusive community that is into: music 🎵, cocktails 🍹, pets 🐈🐕, ping-pong 🏓 and above all else ~ high quality espresso ☕ but more importantly we value championing for our employees to bring their authentic true selves to work and aim to provide a fun and collaborative work environment for everyone!
- 100% coverage health, dental and vision
- Competitive salary and equity for all employees
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Free snacks and drinks and Friday happy hours
- Awesome Zeal Swag
OUR INTERVIEW PROCESS
This is our process for most of our roles, but sometimes stages are subject to change from time-to-time, but we will definitely notify you of the change ahead of time.
Step 1: Chat with our recruiter or hiring manager
Step 2: Chat with one of our founders or hiring manager
Step 3: Take-Home Assignment
Step 4: Presentation/Final Interview with the team
Zeal is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
WHO WE ARE