WHO WE ARE
We are a modern, embedded payroll provider that helps empower companies to build their own unique payroll service. On top of our easy-to-use payroll API we are pioneering an all inclusive tax engine to democratize a broken and cumbersome process providing accessibility to small, medium and large businesses and helping Americans get paid.
Backed by over $14 million in funding by top investors such as Y Combinator, Spark Capital (Marqeta, Coinbase, Affirm) and Robinhood's Founder; Vlad Tenev, we are projected to be a forerunner in embedded payroll with an industry amassing billions of dollars in untapped revenue.
Our mission is to empower companies to become their own fin-tech company using our simple, seamless and forward thinking payroll technology and we'd love to learn more about you and how you could be a fit for our growing team here in San Francisco!
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Tax Specialist will report to our Head of Tax at Zeal and is part of the Compliance team. The Tax Specialist will be a vital member of our tax team. As one of our first members on the team you will get to wear multiple hats and work on interesting tax related problems that has the ability to influence how Americans get paid.
SOME THINGS YOU MAY BE WORKING ON
- One day you may be researching on Bloomberg, looking at tax laws and clarifying policies where the next you could be working 1-on-1 with our clients and explaining to them "why their gross calculation was done in this way as opposed to an alternative method"
- You will spend time reading tax related materials with the aim of condensing it for our team of engineers to understand and embed into our products road map
- Keeping abreast with current and the ever changing tax laws would be something you will do weekly
- From time to time you may be responsible for manually filing tax reports
- If you had some free time and/or interest: we would love it if you could be a guest "blog writer" to help educate our prospective clients and team about how tax laws are intimately involved with the growth of embedded payroll
- 2+ years experience in a tax related role; tax analyst, tax auditor, tax specialist, tax researcher, or tax preparer
- CPA holder or tax enrolled agent or passed tax state credentials
- Strong knowledge of tax laws and procedures
- Awesome communication skills and you don't mind chatting with clients about tax related concepts from time to time
- Strong ability to research and synthesize complex tax laws to the lay person
- Computer literacy (G-suite, Slack, Excel, Jira, etc)
- Degree in Finance or Business would be helpful
- Interest in joining a fun fast-paced start-up in the payroll industry
Zeal is located in the SoMa district of San Francisco and we value in-person collaboration and communication as we grow and scale our business. We are a tight-knit, inclusive community that is into: music 🎵, cocktails 🍹, pets 🐈🐕, ping-pong 🏓 and above all else ~ high quality espresso ☕ but more importantly we value championing for our employees to bring their authentic true selves to work and aim to provide a fun and collaborative work environment for everyone!
- 100% coverage health, dental and vision
- Competitive salary and equity for all employees
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Free snacks and drinks and Friday happy hours
- Awesome Zeal Swag
OUR INTERVIEW PROCESS
This is our process for most of our roles, but sometimes stages are subject to change from time-to-time, but we will definitely notify you of the change ahead of time.
Step 1: Chat with our recruiter or hiring manager
Step 2: Chat with one of our founders or hiring manager
Step 3: Take-Home Assignment
Step 4: Presentation/Final Interview with the team
Zeal is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
WHO WE ARE